Title: Physician Assistant Professor
Full-Time – Contingent on Contract Award
Location: Ft. Sam Houston, TX
Company: The SALUS Group, Inc.
The Salus Group is seeking a PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT PROFESSOR to support the Medical Center of Excellence (MEDCoE) contract to provide education, project management, instructional design training and multimedia support services at Fort Sam Houston, TX.
This contract will provide support services to satisfy the overall military medical training objectives of the U.S. Army Medical Command (MEDCOM). MEDCoE is responsible for training and educating Warrior Medics and developing leaders equipped to meet the requirements of Full Spectrum Operations. To accomplish this mission, MEDCoE must provide trained and ready Warrior Medics to support worldwide contingency operations; produce concepts, doctrine and organizational structure that meets current and future force requirements; create integrated and relevant training strategies, products and programs and make them available for use; and support the Readiness and Managed Care missions of the Military Health System.
The SALUS Group, Inc. specializes in medical simulation facility design, instructor training, and systems engineering for the entire lifecycle of simulation program design, development, implementation, and assessment. We are a Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business and Woman- Owned Small Business headquartered in San Antonio, Texas. SALUS understands that our employees are our most valuable assets, and the delivery of exceptional customer-focused service is the main reason for our success. We bring over 34 years of experience in medical education and providing comprehensive solutions for competency-based simulation training that span all levels of care, healthcare provider and team. Our history of success designing, building, and operating over 100 simulation centers worldwide, is rooted in our ability to assess the needs of the learner, identify goals of instruction, and leverage the right mix of instructional media to yield outcomes that are directly observable and scientifically measured. Our implementation strategy employs the full range of learning technologies including high-fidelity simulators, task trainers, serious medical games, immersive environments, eLearning and standardized patient platforms to create hybrid and blended instructional experiences that make learning more engaging, efficient, and effective.
For more information, please visit our website at: www.thesalusgrp.com. The SALUS Group, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that values diversity at all levels.ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Physician Assistant Professor will perform instructional duties which include classroom/lab, multiple preparation hours, and office hours for assisting students one-on-one. Duties include:
- refining and assisting in presenting approximately 93 didactic semester hours for Bachelor of Physician Assistant Education in the Interservice Physician Assistant Program (IPAP), with each semester being approximately 16 weeks,
- developing, evaluating, modifying, and instructing the first phase in graduate level classes at MEDCoE in fundamentals of clinical medicine and surgery, which includes human anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, laboratory testing, diagnostic testing, patient dispositions and patient education and PA professional issues,
- leveraging emerging technologies and evidence-based medical literature in the presentation of the classes to facilitate student understanding and mastery of the class content,
- reviewing class content and teaching aids on a regular basis to ensure accuracy and timeliness of presented material as well as adherence to current practice guidelines and recommendations,
- ensuring that the appropriate university requirements are met to maintain the contractual agreement with the affiliate university and to meet accreditation standards as established by the ARC-PA, along with confirming appropriate university requirements are met according to IAW policies and guidelines of the affiliating university and that the content meets standards prescribed by the ARC-PA and PAEA,
- assisting in conducting approximately 80 hours of practical exercises (conducted within each semester to reinforce didactic instruction) in clinical practice to clued physical examination techniques, special patient model exercises, outpatient medical patient shadowing, and emergency medicine and surgical skills practicums,
- serving as an authority in physician assistant clinical practice and an expert in administration and the management of an evolving database required for accreditation ensuring that all,
- identifying potential physician assistant-related research topics and ideas and assessing the feasibility of each project,
- supervising the development of protocols, collection of data, and evaluation of results for conducting research involving the physician assistant profession and the preparation of articles and/or papers for presentation and/or publication in various professional media,
- coordinating with the Phase 2 clinical staff the completion of data collection, analysis of data, and preparation of articles and/or papers; results of these research studies in the scientific literature are used to update programs of instruction toward a better understanding by students and for the incorporation of this knowledge into better treatment of patients,
- reviewing and revising course materials to include the latest findings in the field to ensure that the graduate students are kept up to date with current and accurate information,
- developing test questions for both Phase 1 and Phase 2 examinations in compliance with established guidelines of the Testing Committee Policies, as well as maintaining and updates a test item databank to reflect currency of material.
This individual will be responsible for ensuring that the appropriate university requirements are met to maintain the contractual agreement with the affiliate university and to meet accreditation standards as established by the ARC-PA.QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience teaching at least three years at a graduate-level physician assistance program, a medical school or equivalent health education program, or a graduate education degree, and a master’s degree and NCCPA certification.
- Has professional knowledge, skills, and experience to meet all requirements of an academic position at the professor level with the affiliating university.
- A Subject Matter Expert (SME) has qualifications and/or particular expertise that are exceptional and/or highly unique. SMEs do not have specific experience /education qualifications but are leaders for a given area of expertise.
- Ability to obtain Common Access Card (CAC) is required.
- Have no less than 10 years of clinical practice experience.
- Maintain professional credentials and provides direct patient care to ensure currency in the medical standards of care.
- Keep informed of new procedures, techniques, and information within the PA profession.
- Credentialed providers must meet specific immunization requirements.
- U.S. Citizenship required.
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:
- Outstanding communication, organizational and interpersonal skills among multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to work well under pressure, set priorities, and make critical decisions.
- Has extensive expertise in clinical pharmacology and human anatomy and physiology.
- Has extensive professional knowledge and skill in the following areas:
- as a NCCPA certified physician assistant in the delivery of medical and surgical care utilized in the recommendation, administration, and management of medical and surgical patients,
- working performing minor surgical and resuscitation procedures,
- performing and documenting a complete physical examination of patients of all age groups,
- laboratory and radiological diagnostic testing for acute and chronic medical, surgical, and emergent conditions,
- using complex simulation technology (e.g., patient simulator and arterial/venous access mannequins),
- experience in counseling and managing students in a rigorous graduate level physician assistant program,
- conducting graduate level research and applying experimental theories and new developments to patient care problems not susceptible to treatment by accepted methods,
- educational requirements for graduate level accreditation programs in the field of physician assistant practice,
- adult educational theory and diverse instructional methodologies in support of the various learner styles.
Candidates with military experience are encouraged to apply.