Job Title: Certified Medical Assistant
Reports to: Practice Manager/Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Direct Reports: n/a
At Consensus Health, we believe better healthcare begins with a community of strong, independent providers delivering high quality, compassionate patient care with improved outcomes. As New Jersey’s fasting growing independent medical group, Consensus Health offers full clinical and operational integration with our value-based care programs, enabling providers to transform the healthcare delivery experience. In addition, Consensus Health owns and manages New Jersey’s oldest Independent Physician Association (“IPA”) with over 1,000 providers throughout the state. At Consensus Health we believe in fostering an environment of collaboration, participation, and respect. A cornerstone of that belief is a commitment to attracting talented and dedicated team members who work together for the common purpose of providing clinical excellence.
Consensus is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining talented people who are passionate about helping physicians and their staff deliver better care to patients and whose values align with ours. We empower our employees to bring the right solutions forward to strengthen the relationship between providers and patients and ensure that our staff are well served.
The Certified Medical Assistant is a key role in our practice. They create a strong first impression for our patients and ensure they feel cared for by our practice. They prepare a patient for the doctor's evaluation and assists clinical providers with patient examinations by obtaining and documenting vital signs, past medical and social history and updating electronic medical records (EMR).
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties include, but are not limited to:
· Assist professional nursing staff by providing direct patient care. Prepares charts, takes temperature, pulse, performs screenings, blood pressure and respiration and other duties as assigned.
· Assist physicians by maintaining practice workflow, organizing exam rooms, maintaining, and ordering supplies, screening patient requests and other duties as assigned such as blood draws, POC testing as directed by Provider.
· Follows instructions closely and reports observations and symptoms indicative of the patient’s reactions to treatments and patient complaints.
· Responsible for workflow in practice to ensure timely appointments and decreased wait-times to see Provider.
· Assist in scheduling accurate initial evaluations, follow up appointments and cancellations.
· Initiates all appointment reminder calls in a professional and courteous manner, projecting appropriate language and tone of voice.
· Demonstrates effective oral, listening, and written communication skills that facilitate positive customer relationships and staff interaction in the delivery of care.
· Prioritizes duties and responsibilities and completes them accurately and in a timely fashion.
· Maintains confidentiality and demonstrates responsible judgment by updating knowledge, referring problems through appropriate channels, and observing the policies and procedures.
· Obtain and enter patient history, chief complaint, and update the medication list into the electronic medical record.
· Maintains compliance with legal requirements, HIPAA, OSHA, and company policies.
· Assisting with other office duties including answering phones, faxing, filing, etc.
· Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock, placing orders, verifying receipt, sorting, and storing.
· Restocking exam/procedure rooms.
· Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by establishing and following standards and procedures, complying with legal regulations
· Help answer phones, filing, greeting patients and any other administrative task. Maintains infection control/safety guidelines and confidentiality policies.
· Perform other duties/tasks as requested by providers, coordinators, and management in accordance with office procedures/policies
· Enhances practice reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
· Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
Qualifications or Education, Training and Experience
At least 2 years of similar job experience in a medical office preferred
· Familiar with EKG, Phlebotomy and Patient Care
· Certified or Registered Medical Assistant
· CPR certified
· Experience on EHR and EMR systems, Athena preferred
· Knowledge of pre-authorizations and referrals
Knowledge and Skills/Expected Competencies
• Ability to clearly communicate medical information to professional practitioners and/or the general public.
· Ability to maintain confidential information
· Good interpersonal skills, sense of urgency, being proactive and ownership for one’s work.
· Dependable, with strong work ethic and extremely high degree personal integrity.
· Ability to deal with multiple interruptions on a continual basis that must be met with a friendly exchange with others.
· Helpful and constructive view of working with others to achieve positive outcomes.
· Taking responsibility and being accountable for your own actions
Physical/Mental Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Examples of Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, bend, sit, talk, lift, or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk and use hands and arms to operate general office equipment (PC, telephone, file cabinets, copier, postage meter, fax machine and printer). The employee may occasionally lift and/or move between 10 and 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The employee may need to travel to healthcare practices.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
The Company reserves the right to modify the job description based upon its needs and may require the employee to perform functions beyond those mentioned above. Neither this job description nor any other communication creates an employment contract between the Company and the employee.
Our culture encourages individual development, embraces an inclusive environment, rewards innovative excellence and leads New Jersey in provider and patient satisfaction. Consensus Health values diversity, inclusion, and equity as matters of fairness and effectiveness. We are committed to hiring and retaining a staff that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, fostering an inclusive working environment where staff of all backgrounds feel welcomed and engaged.
Consensus Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from individuals underrepresented in the medical sector, including people of color, and persons with non-traditional work and educational experience. All who believe they meet the stated qualifications are invited to apply.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Consensus Health is committed to proactively creating and maintaining an environment that is safe for our team and patients. Employees are required to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including face masks, gloves, gowns, and more as appropriate.