The Medical Assistant will help estabish, maintain, and provide daily patient care and support to the Midwestern University Multispecialty Clinics – Family Medicine Clinic providers. This person is responsible for working within a team to assist providers with outstanding medical care, including preventative medicine, health maintenance, and chronic care management. The Medical Assistant will provide exceptional customer service at all times. This position functions in a supportive capacity for clinic staff and physicians. This individual must have flexibility to work the scheduled clinic hours to ensure complete office coverage. This position reports to the Medical Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates excellent computer skills and becomes an “expert user” of the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system
- Assists with scheduling patients
- Answers phones, checks fax and portal messages, and routes these messages to the appropriate team member
- Maintain records and perform filing duties, within HIPAA guidelines
- Orders equipment, supplies, medications, vaccines and other items as needed
- Learn and assist with scanning documents
- Opens and closes the 6th floor area, unlocks doors, straightens up work areas, and ensures examination and procedure rooms are prepared and stocked
- Schedule patient visits accurately by provider and backfill any cancellations as appropriate
- Sanitizes exams rooms in-between patients
- Greet/escort patient to exam room and direct exiting patients
- Record changes in patients’ medical history and update vital signs
- Obtain test results (labs, X-rays, MRI, CT, hospital discharge records)
- Call patients regarding test results, as instructed by physicians
- Participates actively in pre-clinic huddle and team meetings
- Provide patients with appropriate information regarding medical procedures
- Administer vaccinations, perform venipunctures, run in-clinic urine dip, rapid influenza, strep, mono, COVID and RSV tests
- Perform EKG, spirometry, and other procedures performed in the clinic
Communication and Professionalism
- Communicates professionally, and works collegially, with the other members of the team while supporting the group effort and mission of the clinic
- Demonstrates a professional demeanor, has excellent written and spoken language skills, communicates effectively with the supervising providers and compassionately with our patients
- Must be self-motivated, organized, logical and efficient
Other duties as assigned
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. This individual must have the ability to work in a constant state of alertness and safe manner and must have regular, predictable in-person attendance. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High School diploma or General Education Degree (GED) and possess a Medical Assistant Certificate. Must have 2-4 years of experience as a Medical Assistant which includes previous experience with taking vitals, answering phones, interacting with patients and their medical issues, scheduling appointments, backfilling cancellations, insurance authorization as appropriate and supporting the requirements of various providers. Must be knowledgeable in HIPAA. Experience in wound care / dressings required. Ability to be organized, multi-task and have basic understanding of prioritizing patient emergencies. Knowledge of business office practices, procedures, and equipment required.
General computer literacy necessary, with proficiency in Microsoft Office required. Proficiency with EMR systems is highly desired.
Intermediate skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Intermediate skills: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Basic skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to interpret bar graphs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk; reach with hands and arms; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk, hear, taste and smell. The employee must regularly lift up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, peripheral or depth vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Midwestern University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not discriminate against an employee or applicant based upon race; color; religion; creed; national origin or ancestry; ethnicity; sex (including pregnancy); gender (including gender expressions, gender identity; and sexual orientation); marital status; age; disability; citizenship; past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services; genetic information; or any other protected class, in accord with all federal, state and local laws, including 41 C.F.R. 60-1.4(a), 250.5(a), 300.5(a) and 741.5(a). Midwestern University complies with the Smoke-Free Arizona Act (A.R.S. 36-601.01) and the Smoke Free Illinois Act (410 ILCS 82/). Midwestern University complies with the Illinois Equal Pay Act of 2003 and Arizona Equal Pay Acts.