Certified Medical Assistant
Job title: Certified Medical Assistant
Reports to: Practice Administrator
General Job Description
Under general supervision and according to established policies and procedures, the Certified Medical Assistant will provide clinical assistance under the direction of a physician, associate practitioner or nursing staff within their certified capabilities. This individual will perform clinical visits to include all catheter changes & self-teaching, medication administration, medication instillation, voiding flow rates, voiding trials, post-void residuals and any other assigned clinical visit. On occasion, may also assist with patient intake to include recording and scanning of all patient medical history and will secure patient consent for treatment when applicable. Individual will practice exceptional customer service, answer telephone and assist with daily operations of clinic. Communicates and coordinates information in a knowledgeable and courteous manner with staff, patients and families. Maintains confidentiality with patients, staff and guests.
essential job Responsibilities:
· Performs all duties in accordance with clinical, OSHA and infection control standards.
· Adheres to and follows, including but not limited to, infection control, biohazard waste, sterilization and disinfection, medication administration and storage and controlled substance policies and procedures throughout the facility.
· Adheres to biohazard waste policy and procedure for proper disposal of biomedical waste.
· Ensures all related reports, labs and other clinical information is filed and is available in patients’ medical records prior to their appointment.
· Escorts patients to exam rooms, interviews patients, takes required vital signs, obtains urine specimens performing dip/automated urinalysis and microscopic preparation and review when indicated and documents all clinically relevant information in patient’s chart.
· Performs clinical procedures, including phlebotomy, under supervision of physician or associate practitioner.
· Accurately and effectively document and record all medication administration and associated charges.
· Assists physician and associate practitioner in exam rooms.
· Assists physician or associate practitioner with the preparation and administration of, including but not limited to, Lupron, BCG, Eligard, Vantas, Viadur and Mitomycin.
· Assists with office-based procedures, including but not limited to, bladder scan, urethral dilations and catheterizations as requested.
· Provides instructions to patients as instructed by physician or associate practitioner.
· Keeps exam rooms clean and stocked with adequate medical supplies, maintains instruments and prepares sterilization as required.
· Triages and processes messages from patients and front office staff to physicians and associate practitioners, to include but not limited to, pharmacy requests, test results, medical questions and concerns and responds as directed by the provider and documents in the EMR.
· Maintain all logs and required checks (i.e. refrigerator temperatures, emergency medications, expired medications, cold sterilization fluid change, etc.).
· Assists with training activities as needed.
· Maintains accuracy and productivity levels as established by department standards.
· Performs, organizes and streamlines operational tasks to reduce the potential for errors.
· Maintains patient safety and confidentiality at all times.
· Travels as required.
· All other duties as assigned by Practice Administrator or department supervisor.